• Menu
  • Menu
Sicherheit für Ihr Ferienhaus, Bild: Elkhophoto / shutterstock

Holiday home insurance: protection and security for your second home

By buying a holiday property, you gain a valuable piece of quality of life. Whether it’s a beach house or an apartment in the mountains, these places promise relaxing vacations. However, the variety of holiday resorts also poses various dangers for your holiday home. Especially properties that are not normally inhabited all year round need comprehensive protection. Especially if you rent out your property to friends, acquaintances or on the open market, it is crucial to protect yourself from possible damage during use. In this article, you will learn how you can comprehensively insure your holiday property.

Choosing the right insurance for the right protection

The insurance of holiday homes is based on two pillars: residential building insurance and household contents insurance. Both insurances protect against fire, lightning, storm, hail, tap water and cover different areas of the property. Residential building insurance offers protection for the building itself and permanently installed inventory. Household contents insurance, on the other hand, protects movable objects within the house. This includes furniture, electronics, clothing, and other personal possessions.

To ensure that you as a homeowner receive comprehensive protection, it is often advisable to have both residential and household contents insurance. In a holiday home insurance, you can take out both together. This ensures that the building itself and all your household contents are adequately secured.

Residential building insurance protects the building and helps in the event of loss of rent

Since holiday homes are usually not inhabited all year round, damage can often go unnoticed. As a result, important measures to limit the damage are delayed or even omitted altogether.

See also  Creative holiday greetings with your own postcard

Consequential damage in particular, such as that which occurs after a cable fire or a burst pipe, can represent considerable financial burdens. With residential building insurance, it is possible to protect yourself against these damages.

Holiday home insurance is also optimal if the property is rented out externally via booking portals for holiday homes. In this case, many insurance providers make it possible to protect yourself against loss of rent.

Household contents insurance protects the inventory

Especially in holiday areas with short seasons, the risk of burglaries increases considerably. Household contents insurance offers comprehensive protection for the inventory of your holiday home or holiday home in the event of damage.

This means that items that have been stolen after a burglary or damaged by vandalism will be replaced by your home insurance. In addition, this insurance also protects your facility from damage that can be caused, for example, by fire or burst water pipes.

When it comes to insurance, also think about the garden

The idea of owning a holiday home on the Rhine or the Baltic Sea is undoubtedly appealing. But for many homeowners, the uncertainty remains as to whether their household insurance covers their garden furniture and who bears financial responsibility in the event of damage. Typical damage, such as the theft of garden furniture, damage caused by barbecue embers or storm and hail damage, raise many questions.

As a rule, balconies and terraces adjacent to the house are protected by household contents insurance, as they are considered part of the place of insurance. However, outdoor items, such as garden furniture or barbecues, must also be insured against storm damage and theft.

See also  With the motorhome in the Alps

The garden itself is usually not part of the place of insurance for household contents insurance, unless this has been separately agreed. However, items in garden sheds or garages on the property are covered in most cases, often with a specific cap on reimbursement.

Garden furniture is generally insured against simple theft through household contents insurance, as long as it does not have to be placed in the house or garage every evening. However, this must be agreed as an additional coverage option.

Household contents insurance also offers protection against damage caused by storm, hail, lightning, fire and explosion, provided that these covers have been taken out additionally. This applies to garden furniture, parasols and permanently installed playground equipment. However, it is important to know that in the insurance sense, a storm event only exists from wind force 8.

Vacant holiday home: How to protect your property during your absence

If you own a vacation home and are away for an extended period of time, there are some important precautions to take to protect your property and investment.

Turn off electrical appliances that are not needed to save energy and check that taps are tightly closed to prevent water damage.

Install reliable security devices such as alarm systems, motion detectors and surveillance cameras. These measures can deter potential burglars and alert you to suspicious activity.

Hire someone to inspect your holiday home regularly. This could be a neighbor, a friend, or even a professional property manager. They can respond to potential problems before they get bigger. Have someone pick up your mail regularly. Avoid piling up letters and parcels, as this can attract burglars.

In regions with extreme weather conditions, such as the storm-swept Halligen , it is important to prepare your holiday home for storms, floods or other natural disasters. Make sure that windows and doors are well locked and that you have appropriate insurance policies that also cover this type of damage.